Our Properties

One of our biggest concerns is the ongoing care, management, and upkeep of our properties.  Our buildings must be cared for and our parks must be maintained: 

  • Boise Basin Museum
  • Smokejumpers' Park
  • Pon Yam House Chinese Museum
  • Territorial Prison
  • John Brogan Park
  • The Judge Halley House, the Galbreaith House, and Blacksmith
  • The Kenn Smith House also known as the Strauss House
Boise Basin Museum

In 1867, it took Postmaster James Pinney only 29 days to build the post office after the second great fire in Idaho City destroyed the first one on Main Street. The Foundation leases the building from Idaho City and it has been used as a museum since 1958. The building houses an extensive collection of early photographs, tools, and artifacts from the Basin's colorful mining and logging history.

Pon Yam House Chinese Museum

The Boise Basin's Chinese population numbered 1,751 in the census of 1870. The Pon Yam House is the site of our Chinese Museum and Cultural Center at the corner of Montgomery and Commerical Streets. Pon Yam was a Chinese merchant who used this building from 1867 until 1885.

John Brogan Park

The largest outdoor park in Idaho City is an excellent venue for large picnics, weddings, and other events. This park is home to a stamp mill, ore cart, boiler engine, and other mining equipment and is located at the corner of Wall and Montgomery Streets. This park can be reserved on a first come, first serve basis by clicking  contact form.

Students participate in our annual Celebrate Idaho City Day to spruce up the interior of "The Pest House".

Bordering John Brogan Park is a row of historic buildings, staged as they were originally used.  You will get a glimpse back in time as you look at The Judge Halley House, The Galbreaith House, The Blacksmith Shop, and The Pest House.  Informative plaques are conveniently located at each location.  During the season, knowledgable museum staff are more than willing to answer questions as well.